Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kindergarten Field Trip

I went with Lil B to his first Kindergarten field trip yesterday. I know, I know, the year is almost over and they are just now going on their first field trip. What is wrong with the schools today? I mean, what happened to the pumpkin patch in October? What kindergarten class doesn't go to the pumpkin patch? Apparently the ones at our school don't. And believe me, I was quite freaked out about not going to the pumpkin patch. What if my child was traumatized by the lack of field trips? I mean, isn't that what kindergarten is all about? I always thought so. I know the budget and lack of bus service makes things complicated , but the police station and the fire department are just a couple of blocks away. How hard would it be to walk over there?

Back to the field trip. The three kindergarten classes walked a couple of blocks to the convalescent hospital to sing songs to the residents (I don't like saying old people). I was a little concerned that the children would be afraid of the residents, because of the wheelchairs, tubes, etc (they weren't). We filed in around the residents, and the children started singing and signing, things like America the beautiful and You're A Grand Old Flag. The "residents" were so happy to have the kids there. They sang a long with the children and those that could, stood for the National Anthem. They clapped after every song and thanked the children for taking the time to come visit them. So all went well, you would think. Not for me. I couldn't stop crying! I don't know what was wrong with me. All I kept thinking was that the convalescent hospital was like the last train stop on their journey through life. And how most of these people probably don't get visitors, and how lonely they must be if 20 minutes of children singing could brighten their day so much. Morbid right? After the field trip we walked back to the school where the children played on the playground until it was time for them to get out. The kids were so proud of themselves, and I was so proud of our "kids". I don't think they will ever realize how happy they made the residents in that convalescent home.

No comments:

Post a Comment